This month, BEAM students found out where they will be attending high school. We are pleased to announce that, so far, 42% of our 8th graders have been admitted to highly selective high schools and 61% have been admitted to selective high schools. At this point, 79% will be attending "trusted" schools, which meet BEAM's minimum standards for college preparation. We say "at this point" because every year a few students are undermatched in the process. We are currently working with students who were not admitted to high schools that meet our standards to make sure that they can navigate the appeals process and find a good fit for the next four years.
BEAM will have students attending:*
- Bard High School Early College (8)
- Manhattan Center for Science and Mathematics (6)
- Brooklyn Technical High School (4)
- Stuyvesant (3)
- University Heights High School (3)
- Bronx High School for Science (2)
- The Beacon School (2)
- Midwood High School (2)
- Pace High School (2)
- A. Philip Randolph (2)
- Staten Island Tech
- Manhattan/Hunter Science High School
- Baccalaureate School of Global Education
- LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts
- Medgar Evers College Preparatory School
- Academy for Software Engineering
- Bronx Center for Science and Mathematics
- Urban Assembly Maker Academy
*This doesn’t count everyone with great results to share! Four students are still deciding between great options, like one student deciding between Bronx Science and Bard High School Early College.
Congratulations are also in order to two 9th graders who are transferring to even stronger high schools. In the fall, Chuka will be attending Brooklyn Tech and Ezelle will be attending High School of Math, Science, and Engineering at City College.