Bridge to Enter Advanced Mathematics (BEAM), a project of the Art of Problem Solving Foundation, is seeking an office manager to join our NYC office. You will be part of a close-knit team that is working to change the landscape of mathematics opportunities for motivated, underserved students. We are a young and growing organization, and you will be the first person with the "office manager" title, putting you in a unique position to develop and implement new office procedures as we scale up.
About the Program
Bridge to Enter Advanced Mathematics (BEAM) helps underserved New York City students with talent in math enter a realistic pathway towards becoming scientists, mathematicians, engineers, and programmers.
BEAM's current programs provide comprehensive support from the summer after 6th grade through to high school graduation. We offer summer programs following 6th and 7th grade as well as year-round support and guidance for older students to apply to other opportunities (high schools, summer programs, and colleges). In addition to teaching academic content, bringing students into an intellectual community is a key part of our mission and all of our work is designed around that goal.
In 2017, BEAM is launching several new initiatives to strengthen the opportunities for our students, and as part of this our staff is growing from six to approximately 9-10. This growth is why we are looking for someone to help manage our office and finances. We are excited to be expanding the work of our organization, and we hope that you will be excited about joining us!
We are a growing organization with a startup mentality. We all take on a variety of different tasks in order to make the program run, and part of your role will be consolidating many of these roles. Any list of responsibilities will necessarily be incomplete (and evolve over time), but your responsibilities will likely include:
- Managing office functions such as keeping up necessary supplies.
- Coordinating administrative support for major projects, such as preparing admissions packets for schools or acceptance letters for students.
- Assisting with bookkeeping in QuickBooks and generating financial or donor reports.
- Communicating with and thanking some donors, in consultation with the Director of Development.
- Researching legal guidelines and managing some government paperwork.
- Arranging travel and scheduling for summer staff.
- Performing basic HR tasks for new hires, such as verifying paperwork.
- Replying to external inquiries about the program.
- Supporting our other work in the BEAM office.
- Taking on other responsibilities that might come up in a fast-moving organization.
Depending on your interests, there may also be opportunities to work with students (for example, we have "office hours" when students visit to get individual help with various subjects). Ultimately, it is our hope that we can provide a space where you can grow and expand your own background and skills in a supportive environment.
Above all, we're looking for people who make things happen and who do it well, who work well independently, and who are devoted to the work that we do. It is much more important to us that we hire someone who adapts quickly, has technical skill, and is an "expeditor" rather than someone with a particular background.
That said, helpful qualifications include:
- Very organized individual who is a fast learner;
- Self-motivated with an ability to solve problems independently;
- Strong communication skills (both written and verbal);
- Tech savvy, and ideally comfortable with Google Apps, Microsoft Office, etc.;
- Experience with bookkeeping, especially through Quickbooks;
- Experience with payroll;
- Experience navigating government registrations/bureaucracy/etc.;
- A real dedication to helping each of our students.
Significant pluses may include:
- Experience with underserved students; and
- Fluency in Arabic, Mandarin, Spanish, or another language commonly spoken in New York City.
We do not have a minimum number of years of experience. While experience is taken into account, we also highly favor talent and interest. Along the same lines, we welcome applications even if you do not have all of the experience listed above.
BEAM strongly values a staff that has similar backgrounds to the students we serve. We particularly encourage applications from underrepresented groups.
Salary, Benefits, and Other Details
Salary will be commensurate with experience, depending on background and desired work schedule (full-time or part-time). BEAM provides a number of benefits for full-time employees, including health, dental, and vision; pre-tax commuter benefits; and discounted health club membership.
We provide 8 paid holidays and an additional 15 days of paid time off (which includes both vacation and sick days; we do not distinguish between the two). Paid time off will increase by one day for each year worked for your first five years of employment.
One unique aspect of our organization is our highly-flexible work policies. Time off is very flexible and it is easy to work from home so long as you are keeping up with your responsibilities. Many of us shift our work times (doing work on evenings or weekends) to gain the flexibility to adjust our work hours during the day to take extra time for appointments or errands. This flexibility may vary by season and with your work responsibilities.
As an organization, we are dedicated to the growth of our staff members. We will pay for training to supplement your skills when appropriate, and we encourage all of our staff to learn from each other. (We are, after all, an education organization!)
In general, we are all very dedicated but also very relaxed, and we care deeply that the work environment is pleasant and welcoming for everyone.
This position is open to start immediately, although we would accept a later start date for the right candidate.
To apply, please e-mail us a cover letter and resumé. In your cover letter, we would appreciate if you can discuss why this position is one you are especially interested in.
We will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
We believe strongly in communication and collaboration. In the spirit of that collaborative atmosphere, we strongly encourage you to ask questions about the position!
We're very excited that you're interested in the program. Thank you for applying to BEAM.
The Entire Staff at BEAM