FAFSA Workshop (for 12th graders)

Filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the first step in getting grants and loans that can help you pay for college. BEAM would like to help you fill out this and the application for Tuition Assistance Program (TAP), the New York State student aid program.

To make it easier on you, BEAM has set up multiple dates to help you fill out your FAFSA. Feel free to bring a family member to help you answer questions about family finances (see below for the list of things to bring).


When: Saturdays in October (Oct 5, 12, 19, 26), from 2pm-5pm
Where: NYU Courant Institute, 251 Mercer St

If you can't come to any of these, don't worry. Just email us or call us, and we can find another time to help you.

Let us know what day you are coming below.

What to bring

The FAFSA will basically collect information on you, your family, and your family's finances.

Make a FSA ID beforehand

Before you fill out the FAFSA with BEAM, you should create a FSA ID. This will ask for your name, email, and social security number. Do this a few days before coming to meet with us since it sometimes takes a few days for their system to process.

Don't forget your login and password for your FSA ID. You will need to use this every year of college to fill out the FAFSA.

You will need to both bring information about yourself, and information about your family finances.

Information about yourself to bring

This is the information you will definitely need for yourself:

  • Your FSA ID

  • Your Social Security Number

  • Your Alien Registration Number (if you are not a U.S. Citizen)

If you have a bank account or filed taxes in 2018, you will also need to bring the paperwork for that. Email or call us if you have questions about what you need for that.

Information about your parents to bring

You will also need to bring information for your parents. (See below the list if you don't live with both your parents.) These are the things the FAFSA definitely needs from your parents:

  • Their Social Security Number

  • Their Alien Registration Number (if they are not a U.S. citizen)

  • Their 2018 federal income tax returns (alternatively, their 2018 W-2s and other records of money earned)

In some cases, you may also need:

  • Your parent's bank statements and records of investments

  • Records of your parent's untaxed income from 2018

  • If they have one, their FSA ID

If you don't live with both your parents, you likely only need this information for the parent you live with. However, if this parent is remarried you probably need this information for your stepparent as well. Email us if you have more questions about this or your situation is more complicated and you want to know who you need this information from.